The East Asia LOOP Formulation Workshop proposed the following recommendations:
1. TO THE GOVERNMENTS OF EAST ASIAN COUNTRIES
That they accord proper recognition to the fundamental importance of sound taxonomic capacity and services in their implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity, including national development plans for sustainable agriculture by:
1) Allocating adequate financial and manpower resources to their existing taxonomic centres in accordance with COP Decisions IV/1D and V/9;
2) Approve the establishment and sustaining of a TCN or LOOP of BioNET-INTERNATIONAL in the form of EASIANET, a structure designed to enable achievement of subregional self-sufficiency in the taxonomic services that are needed to support national development programmes and the meeting of national obligations under the CBD and Agenda 21; and
3) Actively seeking funding support to supplement local inputs to ensure the successful execution of the LOOP's work programmes and enable achievement of subregional self reliance in taxonomy.
2. TO GOVERNMENTS OF DEVELOPED COUNTRIES
In accordance with the modus operandi established by BioNET-INTERNATIONAL and facilitated by the LOOP structure, that they support the activities and programmes of the LOOP by making available their taxonomic expertise and resources and otherwise assist the member countries to achieve subregional taxonomic self-sufficiency and self-reliance, in accordance with COP Decision IV/1D.
3. TO FUNDING AGENCIES
That they, recognising the critical nature of EASIANET's objectives, provide financial, technical, material and other inputs to enable the establishment and subsequent sustainability of the LOOP, the execution of its work programmes, the provision of NECI and NACI services and otherwise assist the LOOP to achieve its technical and development objectives, in accordance with COP IV/1D.